NZ10+ : Day 03 : SINGAPORE

Wednesday 19/03/08
Back in the hotel now at 5.00pm, after leaving to explore this morning around 10am. I had slept in, and so by the time I got downstairs, breakfast had finished being served. So, I headed straight out and ended up in a McDonalds, but before they had started serving chips, so I had a hash brown and a cup of tea in order to get on their free internet.
A bit miffed to see hardly anyone replied to my email or Facebook. Guess I'm still getting used to being on my own. There was a Swiss guy who I was trying to fathom the lift out with yesterday, who had also been on the night safari, and I strangely saw him again in a random Italian Bistro hiding from the rain (more on that shortly).
So, I headed down Orchard Road and experienced the malls. A mixture of tall ‘Trafford Centre’ style super-posh-malls on one side of the scale, multi-story ‘Longsight Markets’ on the other. Again, quite difficult to just browse without being heckled or hassled.



As I was halfway up Orchard Road I saw Singapore’s official Playstation Store… so headed there. It was a good move. Had a lengthy mooch at some "proper" Sony gear and even queued up for Guitar Hero III… Unfortunately, by the time I got a go, nobody was there for me to "Wow" with my guitar prowess, until for a laugh I played Dragonslayer and got boo'ed in front of a 10 year old. To be fair though, I think he thought that I rocked. Good job I know I have no cash, else might have been tempted to buy a PSP (Sony PlayStation Portable) game.
I carried on, and then passed a massive food court, and although I was looking out for some kind of chicken/spicy noodle, I saw tandoori chicken & lamb/sheekh kebab instead; turns out that it was the best lamb kebab I've ever had, and certainly making up for last night’s Biryani at the Night Safari.
Then I went outside. In the rain.
It started off light. I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Reckoned I would head up to the "digital" mall I'd seen (turned out to be more of the same as all the other malls) and then onto Clarke's Quay. Got the tube and it was nice, easy and cheap! Could our government please make transport four times cheaper than a pint? Got off bus, and Clarke's Quay looked like it would be great… At night. Not at 3pm in the afternoon in the pissing rain.



By now I had a choice. Head back to the hotel to dry off, or stay out. I had the vague notion of actually buying a Singapore Gin Sling in The Raffles Hotel… I decided that I'd only get wet if I came out later on, and there was no point drying off twice… Five minutes later, and I am pissed wet through with a see-through shirt. Hopped on a bus to get to the Raffles Hotel, stood at its gates and then realised that a soggy Mancunian was probably not the image or customer that they associate themselves with. Thoroughly wet and miserable, I headed back to the hotel…

On the way, I then passed a curious street sign with Batman & Robin on it… Turned out to be a sign for a toy museum. No Transformers, but lots of Robbie Robots, Beatles memorabilia and strangely, lots of Gollywogs. Felt slightly uncomfortable…

Got out of the museum and found the rain had lessened. Was tempted to get a brew and share notes with what looked like a film crew in the museum, but just headed back to dry. Bobbed into a "real" net cafe run by an intimidating woman on the way. Got back to hotel room to write this and now I feel like a nap.
Should venture out for tea later I suppose, especially with the flight coming up, but I really can't be arsed. Can't even find anything that looks like a proper pub. Probably a good thing that I can't find beer. Anyhow, off to bed for a while, have to be on my bus at 5.30…
(Writing at 10:12pm)
Currently sat in the bar at Queen's Hotel - the conjoined twin of the Allson Hotel where I am staying. Beer is pricey here, but that could just be the hotel bar. Never thought I would write this much. Is this what people do when there are no other people to talk t,o and no phone to tinker with, in idle moments? Feel like I am going senile, talking to myself. Or that I should write something profound…
Just went to a gigantic mall for tea. The Suntec Complex. Three towers and loads of malls beneath the world's largest fountain. Had a look for a more local dish, but wasn’t hungry (for once) and ended up making myself eat a chilli bacon and garlic pasta. The most garlic I've ever tasted.



All in all, Singapore tried me a little. The trekking aimlessly in the hot & wet, and heavy hand luggage on day one, took its toll. A companion, or purpose in my wonderings, would have improved things. Just not many social places here, all shops. Still, despite pushy sales, the people are wonderful (women beautiful) and the city itself is gorgeous. Makes you wish the UK and Manchester would get tough on civic pride.
Onto the next leg now. Will I miss a hotel room? Probably.
Final note: saw an "English Chippy." There was nothing English on it. Cheesy Sausage Pancake. Yuck.
SOUNDTRACK: "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" by Travis.
BECAUSE: I got pissed on.



COMMENTARY:

Two things immediately strike me about this diary entry. The first, how the diary brings back memories that I had totally forgotten about (which is the point, surely?) – meeting a Swiss guy in the lift? Would never have recalled that, and maybe I haven’t? Perhaps I am just imagining it now, as my brain was not in record-mode then? Who knows. Swiss guy, if you are reading this, holler Yo.
Secondly, I think I’ve been a bit harsh on Singapore in my sign-off there. In retrospect, I can’t wait to go back!
I’m sure that my dour diary entry was almost entirely due to being on my own, and remembering that (unlike modern trips and holidays) back then there was no mobile internet or readily available Google Maps. I never really had a ‘picture’ in my head of Singapore’s layout, and so I probably did wander around aimlessly, as this part of the trip had not been researched or planned. If I was to go again, I now know exactly which parts of the city I would revisit, and which parts to explore that I had missed previously.
I’ve also got to say, my photos of Singapore really do not do it justice; my heart must not have been in a lot of it, and I’ve no idea why there are no photos of that amazing food hall. I hope the ‘cleanliness’ and modern vibe of the city do come through though.
Other things about Singapore not photographed or mentioned in the diary…

1) The subway stations have doors on the platform; no “mind the gap” notices here, and no danger of falling in!

2) The 30 or so Singaporean College Girls, laughing their knee-high socks off at me at Clark’s Quay – they found the idea of a soggy Englishman whose nipples were showing through his shirt quite hilarious.

3) The THUNDERSTORM. As I left one of the malls, and first encountered the deluge, bolts of lightning were firing thick and fast. I’ve never seen weather like it, and I honestly don’t know if that is the reason I may not have bought a brolly. Carrying any form of metal stick felt like it would have invited death-by-lightning conductor. The rain was non-stop for many hours. The storm itself was shorter, but had a physical presence that made itself known for the 20 minutes or so I spent trying to hide from it.


In memory, I loved the second day (it was really the only full day of the two, due to half of the first being lost to jet-lag) and it was a fantastic entry to the realities and experiences of travelling. I would love to revisit! It was a serious contender for Hazel and I’s eventual Honeymoon. We ended up inter-railing Europe instead, and so the Singapore return is on the backlog. Best start saving…